Friday, August 29, 2008

Peru - Twitching for parrots!

EARLY FRIDAY MORNING

I am not a morning person!
IMG_9074

Well I am trying to smile and wake up in this picture. The colour of the sky, water and my t-shirt I thought looked good. I had just had a pretty scary night's sleep. Woke up in my bed with the white net around me and was not sure if I had been buried alive in a white marble coffin.

But alas was okay, I was only waking up in the dark at 5am in the Jungle! So couldn't have felt better!*

So with bats sleeping above me in the bathroom, no light except my torch which decided to not work (was a new torch as well) and a candle I managed to put some eyeliner on, clean my teeth and hoped that I would not find a spider down the toilet.

Kirsty had a good idea of putting our boots in a bag so no creepy crawlies could get in. So I unbaged my boots in the dark. Still hit them a few times upsidedown on the floor incase there were spiders that had managed to get in them during the night and headed at 5.30am to the main area to start our adventure.

* Not sure if my sarcasim is coming through stongly enough here?

By boat we went along the Imameari River to the lookout post to see parrots. And we saw loads...

Yellow-crowned parrots
IMG_9107

Blue-headed parrots
IMG_9100

Ohh and we saw a Capybara on the shore. Is a funny looking thing!

Capybara
IMG_9080

Back to the lodge for breakfast and a shower. I had left my socks scrunched up on the floor in my room and had a fright as for a split second I thought they were spiders! (So glad they were´nt) I checked out the shower, no creep-crawlies. Water was working okay which was good. Was nice (coldish water, but not freezing) and as it was humid was refreshing. There were now 3 bats above me in the roof, but they looked asleep.

No comments: