Thursday, August 14, 2008

Peru - The Nazca lines

Viewing tower
IMG_2303

Yesterday on the Pan-American Highway just before we arrived in Nazca we saw our first Nazca lines from a viewing tower, it was not that clear but could just make out the shape of a body with hands.

Nazca line - Body with hands
IMG_2307

Nazca as a town is small and the lines bring the tourists into the area. There was an option to fly over the Nazca lines. So in true Indiana Jones fashion we did.

A small plane...

Before our flight smiling next to our small plane
IMG_8083

We paid or $70 US Dollars for the flight and 20 Peruvian Soles airport tax ($8 US Dollars - which is a way the Government makes money on our 30min flight).

Was fantastic! We were all a bit nervous. Was a 6 seater plane. Before we took off I sat there with my headphones on (to soften the engine noise and so we could hear the pilot) and wondered why I was in a tiny plane as I really don´t like flying. But then I asked myself how else can I see the lines? So the engine started and we safely took off. I was in the middle right seat and had great views. There were 13 different lines that we were going to try and see. I saw most of them.

Astronaut
IMG_2352

About in the middle of the above picture on the side of the hill is the Astronaut.

Hummingbird - 97 meters
IMG_2367

On the plateau just to the left is the Hummingbird, which has the long thin beak pointing down and wings and tail behind. You may need to zoom in.

Scenery was breathtaking ... in the summer months there would be rivers flowing through the valleys.

Mountains
IMG_2348

We were high up!
IMG_2369


... the plane had to swoop down and flip sideways for us to see them. Hmmm was good but a again scary.

On landing the pilot had to wait 2mins for the engine to cool down before we could all get out. All feeling very sick we managed to get back to the airport without throwing up. But in Collette´s and Dairmaid´s plane a Frenchman did throw up which was not very nice.

ELLEN - Thanks for your email about the Nazca line flights. I did read it before I went up and knew it would be scary but was well worth it! And our pilot was good as I think some of them try to make the passengers throw up!

No comments: