Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Peru - Machu Picchu and climbing Waynapicchu

Machu Picchu
IMG_8897

This morning we were up early to catch the 5am bus to Machu Picchu.
Was amazing! You really cannot believe how stunning it is until you are there breathing the cool, clean air up within the Andean mountains at 2,400m high. This is why I travelled to Peru, and I have now seen and explored the most beautiful and well preserved ancient Inca city in the world. I feel very privaledged to have stood amazed by the size, skill and beauty.

Mountains around Machu Picchu
IMG_8866

This is my first early morning view of Machu Picchu
IMG_8867

Did you know?
More info about Machu Picchu ...

Our tour guide Cecilia suggested Kirsty and I walked up Waynapicchu which is a mountain next to Machu Picchu to see the city from a good view. Sounded a good idea to me so off I went to queue for a ticket to climb.(There are only 400 tickets available each day and you have to start queuing at 7am for either a 7.30am or 10am start.)

My view of snow capped mountains whilst waiting for my Waynapicchu ticket
IMG_8876


I had my ticket in my hand for the 10am climb so headed back to the main gate to meet the rest of our tour group who were on the last part of their Inca trail trek.

They were all very pleased to have reached Machu Picchu after also having an early 4.30am start ... and treking 30miles over 4 days. I gave them all a Snickers bar each as I knew there were no shops on the Inca trail (which they all liked) and we had stayed last night in a nice comfy bed and had a good meal in town, where as they had camped.

Machu Picchu
IMG_8896

We had a good tour guide who showed us around. Was hard to take all the info he said in.

Don´t touch the sides
IMG_8913

They were clever builders the Incas
IMG_8915

The Southern Cross star constellation
IMG_8928

How did they manage to carve a city out of the rock?
IMG_8929


Then it was time to walk up Waynapicchu. Kirsty had decided not to do the walk so it was me on my own. I looked at the mountain and wondered if I really could climb it as I was a bit scared just walking a few feet on an angled platform to take the above pictures. Kirsty gave me her phone and a bottle of water!

KIRSTY - You are a star for giving me your water as I don't think I would have made it in the heat without it. And lending me your phone for contacting the group when I arrived down.

I thourght as I was unable to do the Inca trail trek I would trek up this mountain instead and see the good view. We had to sign in a book our name, sex, age, nationality and the time that we started, then when we get down sign out. So there was a long queue.

Waiting in the queue at the start
IMG_8939

Can you believe I am about to climb the mountain behind me in the pic above? You maybe able to see the Inca terraces at the top? Well if I only get half way then at least I have tried!

Whilst waiting in the queue I asked the guy behind me if he would take a picture of me, with the mountain behind me and he did. I was surprised that he spoke English so well as I thourght I was sandwiched between a hippy old French couple and a group of young hunky Dutch girls and guys. So we started talking. Michael is a Canadian guy who is trekking around Peru with some friends. But they did not want to do the trek so is also doing the climb alone. Made sence to climb together.

There were narrow stepped paths all the way to the top!
IMG_8942

The paths were really narrow ... there were metal ropes 'parts' of the way that you could hold onto and then sheer drops the other side ...

DAD - This trek would not pass health and safety in Britain!

Where there were not metal ropes it was sheer guts ... adrenaline ... and will power that helped me get up, across or down. Without Michael I think I would have trekked a two thirds of the way up then would have turned back from being to scared. Michael is an experienced trekker and climber so I felt safe. He also liked taking pictures so was happy to stop, take photos and admire the view.

I did sing a few dun dun dun dunnnnnnn, dun dun dunnn to keep me sane. (Indiana Jones theme tune)

There was a gap in the trees and this was our view about half way up!
IMG_8944

Hmmm ... not sure where my guts had come from but I was determined to get to the top! Still a bit scared and breathing quite deeply. Probably should have talked less but you know me.

Good place for a photo!
IMG_8947

We arrived at the first terrace to rest and amaze at the view of Machu Piccu. It had been carved out of the mountain ... you can really see from the pic above. I took my sunglasses off in this pic so you could see my eyes. This was on a ledge so I did not go too far back.

Michael and I resting on the edge
IMG_8952

A nice Dutch lady took the pic above. Here the path split into a circle. You go up on the right path then come back on the left path as passing people was a bit tight. So I looked up and thourght we are nearly there so started the hardest climb I have ever done.

Inca terraces
IMG_8958

You can see the zig zag road leading to Machu Picchu below and me sitting with probably 70% adrenaline in my blood and a smile of pure fear
IMG_8962

I really had to be mad. We had to go through a narrow tunnel, up a ladder that had a angled block at the top that you had to climb over then we were at the top. Michael helped me get across the block as there is no way I could have done that by myself.

Ladder
IMG_8964

Michael grinning on the angled block
IMG_8965

Oh ... and did I mention that when I thourght that was it and I was at the top around the corner was a rockface that you had to slide down. There were small holes that you could just get a bit of you boot in, then it was a case of shuffling down on your bum. That is my boot in the pic below.

Sliding down a rockface
IMG_8967

Michael took a picture from below of me. He has ones of me half way down which I will post when he gets a chance to email them to me. Fear will be clearly shown in my eyes and my tongue could have not be further out. (through concentration not being rude to Michael)

So I made it! Breath taking views! Michael had ran out of water so we shared what little water I had and had a well earned drink at the top!

Jubilent at the top!
IMG_8969

Now I had to be back in town with the rest of my group to catch the 2.30pm train back to Cusco. We had already planned that I would meet them in town as I was not sure how long I would take. So we did not stay long at the top (5mins) and started to head down.

Flip it was scary. I had not seen any helicopters that could maybe take me down so I followed Michael.

You want me to go down that way! The first 20mins going down were more scary! I had to go down on my bum on a few steps as was safer than standing. I know my limits and am too young to die falling of a mountain in Peru.

This is the only way down ... with no metal ropes!
IMG_8973

We have closed the loop and were back on the wider path.

For some weird reason going down steep, uneven and slippery in places steps was amazingly good and I was prety fast. My confidence was totally unexpected. To yet again the Indiana Jones tune we decended.

I WAS THERE AT THE TOP OF THIS MOUNTAIN!
IMG_8917

With a good 20mins walk across the Machu Picchu site to the exit and a 30min coach journey down to the town ... I was pushing it. But was going as fast and as safely as possible.

We started our climb at about 11.15am and signed out at 1.15pm so about an hour up and hour down. We stopped on the way down to see if we could help a lady that had broken her wrist. So that was a good few minutes added onto the down route.

With a grin from ear to ear I meet on time my friends and we caught the train all okay to Cusco for a night of celebrations!

MICHAEL - Thanks again for sharing an amazing climb! As I said would not have made it to the top without you! Enjoy the rest of your trek around Peru!

Not sure that this experience can be topped!

Next stop the Jungles of Peru ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen!!!! What unbelievably scary drops and vertical views! Hats off to you, that looks absolutely terrifying, no matter how incredible the views at the end. Glad you can tell the tale safely at the end!

karen sainsbury said...

:-) have to say I was very scared and luckily did not slip ... Peru is an amazing place!

Looking forward to seeing you in October!

Love Karenx