Sunday, August 10, 2008

Peru - Lima

SUNDAY

I looked back and waved goodbye to Hogar that had been my home for nearly 4 weeks and promised myself that I will try and come back soon. The children, managers and teachers are all so lovely and I was very sad to leave. I miss you all! Even Goofy one of the dogs!

Today I flew from Guatemala to Peru. (Flights TA7641 leaving at 8.05am from Guatemala City and TA7611 arriving at 15.10pm in Lima - Peru is 1 hour ahead of Guatemala) I flew via San Jose in Costa Rica, had some fantastic chocolate sweets at the airport in San Jose).

Peter (my old next door neighbour when I was a teenager) met me from the airport which was great! He works on the oil rigs, manages a band / events and has lived in Lima for over 10 years. We met a Austrian student - Ursula who's friends of friends were not there at the airport to pick her up so helped her find accommodation for the night.

We headed down to the seafront for food and a Cuba Libra or two. Had a fantastic piece of chocolate cheesecake but wished I had chosen chocolate fudge cake as Ursula´s piece was enormous! (Not that I am a pig). Lima is very modern in the centre ... shops, cinemas, resturants and bars, where as on the out skirts they are shanty towns.

MONDAY

After a good night's sleep and a hot shower we headed out for a nice lunch. I had Cebiche Mixto which is a typical Peruvian dish. It is raw fish marinated in lime juice, served with onions, chillies, corn and sweet potato. Was very tasty, the lime 'cooks' the fish. We bumped into some of Peter's friends and chilled for the afternoon.

At 6pm I meet our tour group who are all great, went for a nice meal and a rather large cocktail in a Brazilian bar!

No comments: