Wednesday, June 11, 2008

USA - New York - Rollerblading and views from the ´Rock'

WEDNESDAY

Hmmm ... today is my last exploring day and night in New York before flying to Mexico tomorrow. It is still hot but cooler after the storm. I still can't believe a trashcan did not hit us or the bus shelter did not collaspe on us. A crane had recently collapsed in NY and killed a construction worker. Dan´s train to New Jersey was cancelled due to the storm so he had to get a train and a cab home, but the good thing was that he was home safe.

Central Park hairpin bend on rollerblades
IMG_0509

I am now wondering if New York was a good idea and maybe a bit dangerous. Last time I was here at the end of my travels in 2000 I did the touristy thing and rollerbladed around Central Park. Nearly died then, as managed to miss the turning for the intermedite section and headed straight down a very steep hairpin bend on the advanced section. Was a 'Frank Spencer´ moment - That's if you remember the one where he was on rollerskates and ends up behind a bus? I am a good roller and ice skater so thourght rollerblading would be easy, but had not really mastered the art of stopping or anticipated a park with such steep hills. Anyway managed to lock my legs rigid and stay up for dear life and not collide with a tree. I lived to tell the tale. I walked the route today that I skated in Central Park just to see if it really was steep and yes I did have reasons for alarm ... it was flipping step! and the hairpin bend was definatly a hairpin bend!

Top of the Rock! looking towards Central Park
IMG_0492

On route to Central Park I went to the top of the Rockafellow building to see the views across New York! and was awesome! Was a bit scared as was very high and by myself but worth it! Here are some more views and videos...

Top of the Rock! looking downtown
IMG_0486

Top of the Rock! video looking towards Central Park


Top of the Rock! video looking downtown


We the finished the day with a lovely Cuban meal... the best American cheesecake at Venieros then cocktails at a funky bar called Rue B bar. Back to pack then an early flight to Mexico. Wonder if all my stuff will fit back in my racksack?

No comments: